Thursday, August 07, 2008

Aspiring to be better

Sometimes as we're reading or listening to someone, we get little gems of something that make us wish we were smarter, more articulate, better writers. A description, an insight, and we think WOW. I wish I could come up with something that brilliant. When you love words, it is a natural thing - to aspire to express yourself in new and wonderful ways that touch people.

This happened to me yesterday, but the surprise is the verbal gem I'm referring to came from my eight year old.

We were out walking the dog (who incidentally, has become very fond of sofa throw pillows and remotes, sigh) and along the pathway there were several grasshoppers. When the grasshoppers take flight, they click, making this syncopated ticking as they get out of the way. We commented on it. And my youngest says:

Mummy, it's the metronome of nature.

Holy doodle. I know my jaw dropped. What an image it invokes, and sound! And I felt woefully inadequate as a wordsmith.

However if you are interested in my paltry literary offerings, there is a new review up at Once Upon a Romance for FALLING FOR MR. DARK AND DANGEROUS.

2 comments:

  1. I am amazed that your 8 year old knew what a metronome actually is much less was able to express his idea. You are raising one intelligent child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Donna. Kids do come up with the most terrific things. Mine were never that poetic, but we still call the kitchen swing bin, the "gobbling bin" courtesy of the dd. :)

    ReplyDelete