Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Linky Love and a Reel Review

I had so much fun on this post over at Petticoats and Pistols, that I thought I should send a link. So here you go: http://petticoatsandpistols.com/2008/07/21/you-know-youre-a-writer-when/



And thank you all for the lovely comments on the house!



I realized I hadn't done a Reel Review in quite some time. That's likely because I really haven't watched that many movies. But when we were waiting for the house to be ready the kids and I watched this at our friend's place on VOD.


When I went looking for a picture of EVAN ALMIGHTY to put on the blog, I came across another blog review that really wasn't that favourable. And that I didn't agree with. I will say, that while I liked Bruce Almighty, the themes were a little more adult and the comedy a little, well, different, from this movie. I liked this one better, actually. I thought Steve Carell was fantastic and you can't help but love Morgan Freeman. Most of all, I loved it because my husband, who is not a church goer, enjoyed it, and we could also sit with our kids and not worry in the least. It was a great family movie. The girls watched it several times!


If you are looking for a Christian Movie with serious Christian themes, perhaps this isn't for you. (Go watch Amazing Grace, which I also loved on a historical and moral level. ) There IS a faith element in Evan Almighty. What this movie has done is make it accessible to everyone without being preachy. It is a family comedy first and foremost. And the blogger I read said there was no real message or greater understanding in the end. Well...considering the guy thought everything was tosh from the beginning and at the end he and God "do the dance"...I'd say a greater understanding was there. Considering this is a modern take on Noah, and that a man in today's society, in a prolific position, turned away from that life to build an ark because God told him...that's a pretty big leap of faith. I don't want to give it all away, but I thought the "flood" angle was inspired.


There are even monkeys.


Anyway I liked it, and it's got lots of laughs for great family viewing.


Now I'm off to find a paddle, courtesy of Tropical Storm Cristobal. Our pool is now on the verge of being TOO full as we've had several inches of rain this week.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Evan way better than Bruce. Bruce seemed sort of mocking at times. And like you said, the humor was a lot different. I loved Evan, though. Of course, I think Steve Carrel is just the cat's meow anyway. He's heads and shoulders above Jim Carey in my eyes. ;)

    Don't even get me started on Morgan Freeman. I heart Morgan Freeman. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like Bruce. Bits of it made me laugh but it's a real take-it-or-leave it for me. 'Evan Almighty' my whole family loves. It's plain funny!

    ReplyDelete