Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Focus

Well, the time for dilly dallying and shilly shallying is well and truly OVER. I spoke to my editor yesterday and came away with a second round of revisions for The Italian's Surprise Proposal. Hopefully I will do them right and that title will change. The problem with these revisions is that they are the kind that actually sound easy but are more difficult to execute. I look at the comments and then at the book, and then back at the comments and back at the book....and still I'm not sure what to change. So I'm really struggling and I need to get them in by the end of the week.

Then I spoke to another author for nearly 2 hours....we're working on a project together and doing all the ground work now. The other thing that needs to be done in the next 10 days is a workable synopsis for that story. I am spoiled. Most of the time I send my editor a blurb with the generalities - who the characters are, what the main conflicts are, and an assurance that I'll fill in the blanks and wrap it all up with a happy ending. This is a little different. Because the two of us are writing linked stories that are happening concurrently, I can't be nearly as ambiguous as I normally am. So that's on the docket as well.

And then there's that last chapter of BAWB that I've been ignoring, but I can't any more. I need to finish it up once these revisions/synopsis writing are done, so that I can begin the new story fresh without loose ends. In case you haven't noticed, I don't do well with loose ends.

Added into that, when most are at RWA Nationals, I'm at my mum's wedding, and there's still a lot to be done around the new house....

Yep. Focus.

I CAN do it. I have before and will again. I think sometimes you just pretend you don't have to and then suddenly can't ignore it. As my cp said recently, once I get the bit in my teeth I just go. And after reading The Creative Habit, I know that part of my attitude lately has to do with the complete absence of a regular schedule. I thrive on my work habits. When the world is in sync is when the dh is working and the kids are in school and we do the whole routine. I work fewer hours, actually, but I accomplish more. For right now, that means cutting out any time that's not productive...that's not something that needs to be done (blogging the exception, naturally).

Anyway now I need to get to it, as this afternoon I have to run to the grocery store, the post office, and then get my berries to make jam. I should be able to get the end of the strawberries and the early raspberries and do it all in one go.

2 comments:

  1. Yum homemade jam. I love homemade jam. My mother use to make it several times a year and that was us kids favorite time of the year. Hope your family loves it as much as we did and appreciates you making it for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make Strawberry freezer jam - my youngest's favourite. The whole family loves it on fresh bread or scones. And I make cooked raspberry - my perfect comfort food is toast with butter and raspberry jam.

    I tried peach one year, but I was the only one that ate it. I think I might try blueberry since we're now in blueberry country (we actually have some on our property!) and possibly blackberry, as I love blackberry jam.

    ReplyDelete