Monday, May 12, 2008

Noms, Movies and Books

The big news from this weekend has already been revealed in the comments from Saturday's post....HIRED BY THE COWBOY has finalled in the Bookseller's Best Awards, sponsored by the Greater Detroit RWA.


This contest is judged solely by booksellers and librarians...the people responsible for ultimately making our books available to the public...and I'm especially thrilled that my very first Harlequin Romance has made the final cut.


My mates in the Traditional category are Ally Blake, Michelle Douglas, Lucy Gordon, and Claire Baxter! Lovely.


And also congrats to fellow Pink Heart editor Trish Wylie for finalling in the Short Contemporary category.



Reel Review: I also watched another movie on the weekend. Now Natasha mentioned in the comments that she thought Music and Lyrics was a terrible movie. I'll concede it wasn't one of those movies that blew me away, but I did enjoy it. At least there were little bits of dialogue in there that resonated with me as a writer...like when Hugh Grant accuses her of her worst fear. Which is more than I can say for the other flick I watched on Saturday: Catch and Release.


It was boring, except for the times it was annoying.


Just when you thought you were going to get a moment of truth, it would dart away to something else. It seemed to be an arty experiment on subtlety, only in this case it failed miserably in my opinion. And Kevin what's his name ( I could IMDB it but I couldn't be bothered) was a pig. Or rather his character was, which at least I suppose provided a distraction from the utter boredom.


It's not often that I truly don't enjoy a movie in any way. But this is one of those rare occasions. Timothy Olyphant's dimples were the best thing in it.


On to something far more lovely....


Book Blog 18! This time it's for Kate Walker's Spanish Billionaire, Innocent Wife.


Two years ago she left Raul without one word of regret. Now chance has thrown them together once more, and the proud Spanish aristocrat will see that Alannah pays for her mistake!


He wanted Alannah Redfern the first moment he saw her. Her unique combination of purity and passion intrigued, then intoxicated him. And Raul Esteban was a man used to getting everything he wanted.


Now Raul knows that beautiful Alannah is no longer a naive girl. Until their one night of passion proves that Alannah is still an innocent! Raul will do whatever it takes to keep her at his mercy...


Kate has succeeded yet again in writing a great alpha hero. He's tough. He's really tough. BUT he also has this vulnerable side. And I think this is part of what makes her such a success. Her heroes still have all the trademarks of the romance novel "Alpha" and yet there is something that we empathize with. The characters remain relatable. I love that. I still might be a Guido woman, but her Raul is a very close second. :-)



1 comment:

  1. michelle Douglas2:44 AM

    Big congrats on your BBA nomination, Donna, you rising star you!

    I have to admit, I didn't think Music and Lyrics was world-breaking cinema, but it was good for a giggle.

    Shall give Catch and Release a very wide berth.

    Watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding on the weekend... and laughed and laughed and cried. Very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete