Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Curses!

This is entirely Michelle Styles's fault.



You are Macbeth! A supposed retelling of the true story of King Macbeth of Scotland, Macbeth is one of Shakespeare's bloodiest plays. Macbeth, after hearing the prophesy of three witches, believes he will be named king of Scotland. However, this line of thinking eventually leads Macbeth down a horrible road of blood and death as he fights first to gain, and then to keep hold of the crown. Believing the play to be cursed, many actors will not even say the name of the play inside of a theater unless it is being performed and refer to it simply as "The Scottish Play". But you probably don't care about some stupid old curse. As Macbeth you most likely don't take warnings too well and you are so headstrong that you can't take good advice when it comes your way, even if it is for your own good. But being Macbeth isn't all bad. You are most likely a man (or woman) of action. People probably like you because you are good at thinking on your feet and making quick decisions. But be careful, as your rash behavior may also get you in to trouble along the way.


Your Score: Macbeth

You scored 39% = Tragic, 28% = Comic, 38% = Romantic, 51% = Historic




Now...I have to blog my 19th Book Blog. I just have to...just like I had to turn off the television and read until I finished it last night.

It's A ROYAL MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE by Marion Lennox.

Every now and then you read a book that succeeds in making you feel completely and utterly inadequate as a writer. This is one of those books. I adored it. I adored just about everything about it. I had so many "I wish I could write like this" moments I lost count.

It takes the shop-worn hook of a royal marriage of convenience and just completely turns it upside down. The pacing and action are fast, the characters have lots of depth and are wonderful, and the dialogue is sharp and laugh out loud funny. And yet...there is a tenderness about it that had me blinking my eyes in several spots as we got towards the end.

At one point there is an attempt on their lives and the heroine, a spunky Yorkshire vet. Rose is such a strong, practical woman. She says...."Someone tried to shoot me, so I'm supposed to take a sleeping tablet and go calmly to sleep without getting it sorted? You must be out of your collective minds."

Yet I LOVED how just pages later we see her feminine side...and how it knocks the hero, Nick, for a loop:

"You realise discipline in this castle is shot to pieces?"

"Yes," said Rose, chuckling more than the girl had chuckled, and hugging Hoppy as she rolled back out from behind the settee. "I believe they're my knickers you're standing on, sir."

He bent and picked them up. They were pink and white and lacy, with butterflies embroidered on them.

"My God," he said with reverence. "And I stood on them. Why didn't I notice these last night? Were these special for your wedding?"

"Of course," she said, and then she giggled again. "Nope. I tell a lie. I wear knickers like this all the time."

"You're kidding me." He held them to the light as one might hold up a piece of priceless art. "You wear these? As a country vet?"

"I wear brown, grungy overalls and mud, and I smell like cattle," she said. "I have to be a girl sometime."

"It's a tragedy," he said, awed.

Marion, thank you for the best book I've read this spring.

1 comment:

  1. Marion's books are just delightful, aren't they? Probably because she's a throughly delightful person. Her warmth and sense of fun and compassion bubble through into her books

    ReplyDelete