Thursday, May 15, 2008

Brothers in Battle

I wasn't going to blog today. I'm dead tired, since my youngest is home after being very sick all night. It was hairy, people. And I thought I would take it easy and do a little laundry and just make sure the clan stays upright, yanno?

But then the mail came, and my latest amazon order, and in it, BROTHERS IN BATTLE - BEST OF FRIENDS.

I have never read Stephen Ambrose's BAND OF BROTHERS, but I have watched the series - brought to HBO by Tom Hanks and the ever-wonderful Spielberg. I've watched it many times. It changed my perspective of the world, and that's not exaggeration.

So when I spied this book I knew it was one I had to have. It's the story of 2 of Easy Company's most dynamic members - Babe Heffron and Bill Guarnere. Who can forget them sitting in a pub in Holland, just before Operation Market Garden, and Bill telling the replacements the story about the "Dear Babe" letter and the airplane named Doris???? What a character.

I'm in the middle of another book, but I had to read the foreword which is by Tom Hanks. Even those few pages brought back so many of the feelings from watching the series that I had to wipe my eyes.

Ordinary men, who by their deeds became extraordinary. I am really looking forward to digging into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment