Monday, May 19, 2008

Book Blogs and Reel Reviews

I'm going to do my next book blog - I think it's 20 now - but it's going to be short. Not because I didn't like it, I did. But I'm not quite sure how to review it.

But the kids and I finished The Horse And His Boy (Narnia) by C.S. Lewis this weekend. It is not my favourite of the Narnia books, but we did enjoy it. And we liked the last chapter best. We are starting Prince Caspian tonight, and we are hopefully going to go to the movie at some point.

But the Reel Review is the thing today.














Last night i finished watching CRANFORD on PBS's Masterpiece. If I had to describe it in three words they would be:

Delightful, brilliant, perfection.

Michelle Styles had said, it is not a love story, but more a slice of life. But I'm not sure of that. It is definitely slice of life....and I don't think I've ever watched a series that made me care about the characters quite so much. I cried so often in this mini that it was stupid. Judi Dench was fantastic as Miss Mattie.

But there were several love stories at work...in that way I suppose it wasn't ONE love story at the core of it, like North and South was. But there was Miss Mattie's romance, and Jesse's, and Martha and Jem, and of course the Dr. Harrison and all the woman that swooned over the new doc. And there were opportunities missed....like Mr. Carter (who really really grew on me as a hero, dear me). The cast was stellar. I just really really cared. And the little boy...Harry...just broke my heart close to the end.

In the end, despite irreversible things that happened that made me sad, the beauty was that everything ended as it should have. The love story worked out for Dr. Harrison, other pairings were made, and people were with the right people. Miss Mattie's muslin was made up into the Mrs. Harrison's wedding gown. And Cranford was, in the end, still Cranford.

I'm sure the dvd will sneak its way on to an amazon order one of these days.

2 comments:

  1. Horse and His Boy was my very favourite of all the Narnia books when I was a girl. I suppose it is the only one which has a bit of a romance....but something about it really appealled to me.
    Cranford is simply Cranford. Have you read the books that it is based on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the books but now feel compelled!

    I haven't read the Narnia books since I was about my daughter's age, so it's really a rediscovery for me. I'm looking forward to Prince Caspian.

    ReplyDelete