Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Brainstorming

I'm about halfway through the first pass at my revisions...there will be some fine tuning to do after I get all the way to the end...but this morning I got sidetracked into a brainstorming session.

You know it's probably true that I *should* have been working, but I really don't consider it wasted time, not at all. For one thing, helping someone else frees up creativity within myself. In fact in talking about someone else's new book, I realized something else that's missing from my WIP. My WIP has been bugging me and I kept feeling there was something missing. So the lightbulb was very welcome.

I think Trish is ready to get started at her next, Natasha might have some new ideas, not to mention Jenna and Fiona and...well, MSN is a blessing and a curse. Most of all I got excited for all of us as the ideas kept bouncing around.

More than that, the topic frequently turned to heroes. As I was looking at pics of Trish's latest casting, I came across a few gems. One being...I know the casting for my next project. With the casting came a basic backstory for him, which was good because for so far I only had a slight grip on the heroine. I can see him entering the room. I can see him in his jacket and jeans and I can SEE his hands on the heroine's face. I think it's going to be good!

I might as well post a pic because I'm also going to give you a quote from a Q&A on one of his fan sites. Here we go:

What's your take on reality shows, besides there being way too many?:

You know...I wrote out a long explanation of what I thought on this whole subject....read it...and decided not to send it because it really comes down to this...our world and reality is messed up enough and I can get enough of that through reading the paper and watching the news...I like to watch t.v. And films to take me away from reality and into a fictitious world. Why do you think they have us read fictional books and stories in school...to expand our knowledge and creativity. You don't really get that by watching Jerry Springer or Elimidate.

In case you missed it..."our world and reality is messed up enough and I can get enough of that through reading the paper and watching the news...I like to watch t.v. and films to take me away from reality and into a fictitious world."

And expanding knowledge and creativity....brilliant!

It sums up a lot of what I feel about writing romance is about. I don't watch reality tv either except my one addiction to Dancing with the Stars because I love the music and dance and costumes and the camaraderie. It is a feel-good show. I see so many reality shows that bring out the very worst in humanity and I don't like to watch it...it's depressing.

Anyone who says category romance is predictable and doesn't expand knowledge or creativity, has obviously never brainstormed with other authors and discovered things like the specs of a single engine luxury charter plane, the issues of becoming a forward-thinking King in a traditional world, or the intricacies of Italian divorce law, and how to use each of those to reach a happily ever after for a hero and heroine.

Now...because I've indulged myself enough, give me 10 minutes and then pop over to the HRA BLOG to see this month's releases...and then I'm back to revisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment