Sunday, March 16, 2008

Quick Saturday Thoughts...

I'm posting in a flash as it's just about bedtime, and I'm a bit bagged courtesy of kid's sleepovers, and packing, and the better part of a bottle of shiraz.

But, I put in my miniseries of Battlestar Galactica tonight and was thinking about how great the writing is. And I was also thinking of THE SOLDIER'S HOMECOMING and issues, etc.

There is a scene in BSG where one of the mechanics is holding a colleague who has died, and another comes along and they look after him together, and then another scene where one of the captains is walking through a makeshift morgue clutching a fistful of dogtags.

I got to thinking about some of the reader mail I've had about TSH so far and this show and it hit me once again what makes us, as humans, special. What makes us, in the words of Commander Adama, a race worth saving. And that's our capacity for empathy, compassion, and love.

Someone recently commented that I have amazing emotional insight for someone so young and it's all tuned into an emotional core. I can put myself in someone else's shoes and wonder how it must feel to be in that place at a particular time.

It's a huge reason why I do what I do.

And now my dh is out of the shower and it's time to shut down.

Food for thought.

Donna

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:56 PM

    "What makes us, in the words of Commander Adama, a race worth saving."

    Particularly poignant this time of year.

    J

    ReplyDelete