Thursday, February 07, 2008

Where Am I? (and TSH's first official review!)

I guess the blog isn't completely silent. :-) I'm blogging over at Tote Bags 'n' Blogs today about one of my favourite things in the WHOLE world.

This morning I will be at the Calgary Philharmonic with my eldest's class. It should be wonderful. It helps a little with the "I wish I could be in London for the Mills and Boon Centenary cocktail party" feelings. I have several people supposed to toast and drink for me (and I won't get the hangover) and duty-bound to give me complete reports.

Kay James has reviewed TSH at Romance Reader at Heart. I am THRILLED so I'm posting it here:

I loved THE SOLDIER’S HOMECOMING! Now that I’ve said that, I’ll tell you why I loved it so much. First of all, although this is a romance and does have the requisite happy ending, there are parts of this story that are so real, so heartbreakingly poignant, that they gripped my soul. I could feel this hero’s pain. Too, the woman he left behind, then met up with again, loves with such intensity that it would have been impossible not to feel the sincerity behind every word she speaks.

Jonas Kirkpatrick is a complex character who returns home from war a different man. He guards his emotions and seems utterly closed off from everyone. Shannyn feels her heart lurch the instant she sees Jonas again, but he barely looks at her. She doesn’t really need him to, though, because she knows exactly what his moss green eyes look like. She sees them daily on the daughter she has, the sweet child named for Jonas’ dead grandmother—the child Jonas doesn’t know exists until he sees her fly into Shannyn’s arms one afternoon.

The emotionally gripping aspects of this story make it so much more than an average love story. THE SOLDIER’S HOMECOMING tells not just Jonas and Shannyn’s story, but the stories of countless men and women who return from serving their country to find their world, and themselves, changed forever. This portrayal of a stirring subject makes for excellent reading.

THE SOLDIER’S HOMECOMING by Donna Alward is a story of love, commitment and the strength of the human spirit. Well done!

See you on the flip side, gang!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:46 PM

    Excellent review Donna. Definitely on my buy list.




    Chris.

    ReplyDelete