Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Defending Romance

Just a quick post today as I'm off in a very few minutes to a dr. appt to get some stitches out.

There is an article in the Sunday Sun - Newcastle that features my critique partner and others. It is nicely done with a personal touch and very little disparaging about the genre. The link is http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/lifestyle/lifestyle/tm_method=full%26objectid=20457275%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

On a personal note, I watched a PBS Masterpiece Theatre I'd taped and I absolutely had to write down a bit of dialogue. It is between Jane and her brother's housekeeper. The program is called Miss Austen Regrets and I quite enjoyed it.

Jane: "Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance."

H.: "But the fuss we make aobut who to choose. And love still dies. And money still vanishes. And every woman - spinster, wife - every woman has regrets. So we read about your heroines, and feel young again. And in love. And full of hope. And if we can make that choice again..."

Jane: "I'd do it right this time."

H.: "It is the gift God has given you. It is enough, I think."

This is exactly how I feel about it. Young. Love. Hope. Books with optimism in the face of adversity. The silver lining. That leave you with a smile on your face. These books have value. More value than they are credited with and I hope when a reader picks up one of my books she - or he - gets those same feelings. If they have I have done my job.

I'm off.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article about Mills & Boon, and the ladies who write for them. Nice to see romance get some positive press.

    ReplyDelete