Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Book Blog 7 - The Art of Romance Writing


The Art of Romance Writing by Valerie Parv

My husband got this for me for Christmas and I've absorbed it over the past 2 nights.

I really wish I'd had this book around the time when it was published - 2004. (Note: this is the second edition) It is a fabulous book for those aspiring to publication. That doesn't mean I still didn't learn things. Learning does NOT stop with publication and as well it is always a comfort to read about the romance genre, especially when it's written by someone who gets it, and whom I like and respect.

My one caution is the market section at the back...some of it is now outdated which is not surprising considering how lines change and disappear. The blurb on Bombshell comes to mind. But there's also scads of great info that make it well worth it.

As an overview of the industry as well as the basic components of writing a romance novel, you can't go wrong with this one.

1 comment:

  1. And the "Tango" thing is out of date, too, Donna. But you're right, it is a must-read for anyone wanting to break into the romantic fiction market.

    ReplyDelete