Monday, January 21, 2008

Reel Review

So I got to thinking, as I'm such a fan of alliteration, that if I have a "Book Blog" perhaps I should also have a "Reel Review" for the films that I watch this year.

I watched 2 yesterday - Shrek The Third with the kids, which was good and had lots of laughs, but the storyline wasn't as solid as the first 2 I don't think. Still...the antics are enough to make it a lot of fun.

But what I really want to talk to you about is The Last Legion.


I had no idea this film even existed, and wonder if it was limited release because I certainly didn't see any ads or hear any hype. I was merely going through the video store and saw it and said, Hey, wait a sec. Colin Firth in Roman garb on a quest to Britannia - I'm SO there!

I saw some reviews of it today that were horrible, and I don't care. I liked it. I am assuming great liberties were taken with history and even legend and again....I don't care. I was entertained. Some complained that Firth was miscast, but I for one enjoyed it because it made Aurelius more than beefcake (Hah, I used "Firth" and "beefcake" in the same sentence!). I also puzzled my way along trying to remember where I'd seen Demetrius and was 2/3 of the way through before I realized it was Rupert Friend. I don't particularly find him that attractive but he was here and then I realized maybe he just had to grow up a bit. I thought he was horribly miscast as Wickham in P&P, but he was great as Demetrius. And Ben Kingsley was Merlin, and he was fantastic as always. I love Ben Kingsley.

Thomas Sangster (Love Actually, Finding Neverland, Nanny McPhee) plays a very young Romulus. And we can't forget John Hannah as a Roman Senator and Kevin McKidd as a villain - a very hairy, mean villian which is quite different from his character in ROME.

Do I think this movie was riding the popularity of ROME? Possibly, though it was partially based on a book that obviously was written earlier. And was it up to ROME standards? Hardly, but then, HBO had 10 hours for season one alone. Oranges and Apples.

What it comes down to is the fact that I enjoyed it and would watch it again.

Ok...now I'm off to work!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle Douglas1:20 AM

    Colin Firth... in any kind of togs! I am so there. Thanks for hunting up this movie, Donna.

    ReplyDelete