Monday, January 14, 2008

Fairy Dust!

I'm not sure if it's the imposed break my wrist gave me, or the musical inspiration that's been inundating me lately, or simply a combination of planets being aligned or what. And I have yet to hear what my CP says about it all....but THE COWBOY'S PRINCESS is DONE.

I'm a little staggered.

January 2, I got back to work. I sat down with pen and paper as there was no way I could type as you well know. And with the OCR software I was managing a respectable 1k a day...and I didn't work at all last weekend.

But then on the 9th I got my new cast and my fingers and wrist were standing up to things quite well and I got the go ahead to work if I wanted. And not to over do it. And so I upped my word count to a more respectable 2k.

But then, I hit a couple of songs that spoke to me and scenes started coming, all the more frustrating because I couldn't type them fast enough. I was really starting to get into this. And this weekend was simply crazy.

I ended up at nearly 54k somehow, went through several tissues and hit what I hope are several emotional buttons.

And tonight, as I was writing the last chapter, the heroine said a line that changed everything. I LOVE it when that happens. It caused me to go back and change a few details. And it also caused me to download a version of "Let Me Call You Sweetheart". I played it, and bawled my eyes out.

I'm not sure why I'm becoming such a sucker for the old songs. The initial inspiration for the book was the Tennessee Waltz. The copy I had was from a scratchy old LP that they re-recorded just as is, static and all. And when I heard the words, "I was dancing, with my darling, to the Tennessee Waltz..." I just knew. Maybe it's the simple truth in them that just resonates with me, I don't know. But they are honest. And I think sometimes the greatest things come from simple honesty. Just think of it...Let me call you sweetheart, I'm in love with you....Let me hear you whisper that you love me too....Keep the love light glowing in your eyes so true...Let me call you sweetheart...I'm in love with you.... MAGIC I tell you!

But perhaps the reason why this book has been sprinkled with fairy dust is because the whole idea came from one of the simplest, yet most romantic moments of my life. When my husband and I danced beneath the stars last summer, with the music of the barn dance behind us and our children asleep in the camper beside us. I put Lucy and Brody there and it just BECAME.

Whatever the reason, I'm happy, and I'm drained, and I really should go to bed as tomorrow is a school day.

3 comments:

  1. Oh YAAAAAAY Donna!!! Well done you :) esp with the WRIST thing! Have a rest day (or three) and then go back with edit eyes on - such a wonderful feeling to get to the end tho huh?!!
    Have a GREAT sleep!
    ~Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I love reading posts like this! They are so inspirational! Way to go !

    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! my chapters are back from my CP and I'm about to go through them right now, and then start going through the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete