Friday, January 04, 2008

Book Blog: A Christmas to Remember

Before I launch into the book blog, I found this when I logged in.

The fact that I'm listed next to Danielle Steel and Jo Barrett made me giddy. Just seeing it, mind you. I'm apparently easily thrilled.

And the covers for The Soldier's Homecoming have appeared on amazon I noticed.

I'm also at the PHS today talking about Film on Friday and Jane Eyre.
So...on to the first book blog!


I have been reading lots since injuring myself and on Jan 1 curled up on the couch with my first ever Betty Neels, A Christmas to Remember.

I know, I know. How is it that someone writing for Harlequin Romance has never read Betty Neels? Her books still sell like hotcakes years after their release. I actually found this one at a church yard sale and grabbed it. It is a 2-in-1 - featuring her stories The Mistletoe Kiss and Roses for Christmas.

The Mistletoe Kiss: Emmy Foster works patiently as a receptionist in London's St. Luke's Hospital, and can't imagine why handsome but arrogant Professor Ruerd ter Mennolt would take an interest in a country mouse like her. But when the professor invites her to his home in Holland for Christmas, Emmy can't deny the spark that blossoms between them. . .

Roses For Christmas:Eleanor hasn't seen her childhood neighbor Fulk Van Hensum for twenty years, but she still remembers what a horrid boy he'd been. . .and it takes only two minutes to discover he's grown into an equally horrid man. Even if he is handsome. . .and the new doctor at a hospital where she's a nurse! He hasn't changed a bit-so why can't Eleanor stop thinking about him?

Both stories are, from what I gather, typical Neels : rich Dutch hero and capable, independent nurse heroines. The first was written in the late 90's, the latter in the seventies, where really only language like "groovy" and "super" gave it away. Both were lovely, old fashioned stories and only in the good sense. Lots of narrative but executed in such a way it pulls you along.

They are of course, non-explicit but there is one passage that made me laugh and marvel at its brilliance. Eleanor has been kissed by brother and then the hero. She says that Henry (the brother) had kissed with childish enthusiasm, "but Fulk's technique had been perfect; moreover the enthusiasm hadn't been lacking, either."

Lovely.

All told I did see what the fuss about Betty Neels was about and will definitely read any more that come my way.

3 comments:

  1. All I can say about Neels (and of necessity I had to read a few of 'em) is that I can't stand her heroes' names (and sometimes the heroines' but mainly the heroes').

    They make me want to poke my eyeballs out with a dull pencil. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, Kris. That's too bad. I read one of her novels. She wasn't too bad, but then again I used to read Danielle Steele like my life depended on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes well...there was that, Kris. But I did quite enjoy the stories. There was something magical about them.

    LOL Mel.

    ReplyDelete