Thursday, November 29, 2007

Love affair with the west

You know - I never thought I'd write westerns. I really didn't. Until HIRED BY THE COWBOY, I actually hadn't written a book set in the west with the exception of one in Calgary which was more urban than western.
But then I wrote Hired. And then Marriage at Circle M. And Falling for Mr Dark and Dangerous. And now I'm writing the Cowboy's Princess and loving every minute of it. Well loving WHERE it is even if writing it has its challenges...

Some people I've talked to aren't surprised by this at all, even though I am. I think it's probably a forest for the trees kind of thing. Looking at something from the inside out rather than the outside in, if you know what I mean.

I suspect that it has to do with the type of stories I write and my voice. I'm very much a home and hearth type writer and that is a style that suits cowboys and western settings very well. Historically those pioneer towns were words unto themselves. A real sense of community and a helping hand. They still are. The people are strong amid hardship, loyal and hardworking. Yet they always knew how to cut loose and add a little fun into the every day. I love that.
And the more I write these settings the happier I am that I'm Canadian. Because the Canadian west is a little different than anywhere else.

Yesterday I went on my daughter's field trip to Fort Calgary. It was very nice and I'm going to go back another time when there's time for me to properly go through the museum. Still....you get a real sense of the early mounties and the kind of life they led; the kind of life in a fledgling town settled by ranchers and then changed by the arrival of the railroad.

For now I'll just give you some pictures to give you an idea. My other daughter is going next month with her class and over the holidays I think we'll go to Deane House - the original house of Captain Deane - for lunch as it's now a restaurant. Then all of us can see it from the inside perspective instead of from the model.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like there is definitely something speaking to you on some level with the westerns.

    ReplyDelete