Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Breakthroughs

This book is giving me fits. I have tons of conflict and I even know what has to happen. The problem is getting it on the page. It doesn't want to *feel* right. That probably doesn't make sense, I don't know. But it's missing something I can't put my finger on.

The solution to this is probably just to write the darn thing and fix it. I even tried jumping ahead to another scene, thinking that something might twig so I know exactly what happens where I left off. But it didn't feel right either.

Then last night I had a minor breakthrough in the shower...why is it baths and showers provide such clarity anyway? Maybe it's a scent thing...aromatherapy of sorts when you mix steam and fruity bodywash or something. I don't know. Anyway I was running over what needs to happen next and asking why. He doesn't want her going through the files. Why?

Cue orchestra...the answer arrived and made a whole lot of sense.

So I'm hoping that once I've done the school run I'll sit down and things will work out a lot better. And if they don't...well I'll just keep writing and torture my critique partner with it and see if she can see what's wrong.

2 comments:

  1. the shower is a wonderous place isn't it???? i spend so long in there my husband knocks on the door and calls out pretending to be the man from the council coming to turn the water off!!!

    Hope you have a great writing day and it comes together for you
    ~Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just seen this in your blog from a few days ago. "Meantimes, feel free to post in the comments anything you'd like me to blog about, whether it's writing or otherwise! My favourite part of workshops are the Q&A sessions where you just talk shop, so if there's anything on your mind let me know!"

    I love it when you blog about writing. :)

    I have a question:
    Knowing that you are expected to produce several books a year must be quite daunting.

    How do you make sure you you are never stumped for a story idea?

    Do you maybe collect ideas for unwritten stories? Keep a file of newspaper and magazine clippings?

    Or maybe plan out a series of very brief outlines for future stories, then pick the one that is calling to you?

    Or maybe you don't even think about the next story until it is time to write it.

    ReplyDelete