Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Details that bring things to life

As you know from my earlier post, I've spent a couple of days synopsis writing for 2 different stories. The Brainstorming was a blast...so very cool. (We do it on MSN) I love how when Kris and I do that, we'll often have an idea, type, send it and it pops up and we've suggested essentially the same thing. LOL. A synop on a book unwritten is usually more about hitting the right motivations and the timing...the actual execution and sequence of scenes is all up for grabs during the actual writing. At least for me...I'm half-planner half-pantser. I like having a general roadmap, but think sometimes the best magic happens when you go off track a little bit. As long as you get to the destination in the end.

Now, the more you know, the more details filter through so you can see more of your story unravelling. I recently read Trish Wylie's Return of the Rebel and she is a great one for details that really elevate a good story to something great. In RotR it was the t-shirts. I love how little details provide continuity - and intimacy. Not necessarily between the characters themselves but between the characters and the reader.

Just this morning 2 of these details jumped out at me with regards to The Cowboy's Princess. Little things that are for Lucy and Lucy alone. I think I first really did this in Marriage at Circle M with the daisies. So you can understand why, when I saw the cover, I was so happy Mike was holding a bouquet of daisies.

Tomorrow I'm at the school, but on Friday I'm planning on getting a firm start on this book, FINALLY! I'm hoping once I get past those first few pages I'll hit my stride.

As I get going I'll be posting some pics, of my hero, my heroine, and some of the cool things I discover as I'm writing.

Now I'm off...character sheets to finish and a mountain of filing to do!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a half and half too - start with a plan and then discover things as I go. I love it when I' almost done and suddenly my H or h reveals something so major and so cool and I have to go back and filter it all in - exciting stuff. They become more real the more I write I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said, "A synop on a book unwritten is usually more about hitting the right motivations and the timing"

    If you have the time I'd love to hear you elaborate on that. For the first time I wrote a synopsis before I finished the book. It wasn't too hard because I have the conflict and a vague idea of how that's going to keep them apart. Not sure if it'll be a good selling tool at the moment. (If I decide to use it as my proposal.)

    ReplyDelete