Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Brainstorming and plain speaking

I have a couple of synopses to put together - of the proposal variety - and so I had a brainstorming session with Kris Starr yesterday afternoon.

I love how talking to someone just opens everything up. I had a basic situation but there was so much I didn't know about my characters and how I was going to set up the situation that just running everything by her was so helpful. This book has gone from being a somewhat nebulous idea to me getting excited to write it. I want to tell their story. I want to torture them and get them to the HEA.

Do you guys brainstorm? I will still go forward and do up my character sheets, etc., but sometimes getting another writer's input is gold, pure gold and something they say suddenly makes everything clear.

Little does Kris know thought that next time she comes online I have another story to iron out with her.

As well, something someone sent me last week has stuck in my mind a lot and so I'm going to share it with you the same as I shared it with the group I spoke to on the weekend. The woman that I was in contact with (and who was my chauffeur, thanks Janet ;-) ) e-mailed me with a quote that I simply loved.

People ask me a lot what really got me to the point where I was published. There is no one answer I suppose, yet in my heart I know what it was. It was work. It was making the writing a priority and doing it, whatever "it" was. Whether it was finishing a new manuscript or getting a rejection or giving a critique (and getting them)...but it was work, plain and simple. It was hard work and lots of it. I've never been one of those people to whom things come easily. I think a lot of people think that but the truth is even in school, I had to work very hard for my marks.

So when Janet sent me this excerpt I nodded my head a lot. I've seen a lot of people say they want to do a lot of things. What separates them from the ones that do it is putting in the work and the time. The ones that know this is true will be nodding as they read this and the ones that don't will be reading and thinking of reasons why they haven't done it.

The quote comes from "Secrets of Earning a Living as a Writer" by Jo Ann LeQuang.

"The business of writing separates the sheep from the goats...Writers who want to support themselves writing need to stop thinking and talking about writing and focus on the business.

If you want to earn a living as a writer, you have to sell what
you've written."

Hate to disillusion you folks, but it wasn't supreme innate talent that made someone buy my books. It was five years of hard work and sacrifice and learning and rejection. Don't let this dishearten you, let it motivate you! If I can do it, so can you. All it takes is commitment to putting in the work.

3 comments:

  1. I love your post today Donna! There really is nothing like a friend/cp with whom one can bounce ideas off of. =)

    Have a good one!

    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I couldn't agree more. This year I made it a point to write every day. Put out submissions. Put myself out there. When I got discouraged I always went back to my writing.

    So good quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris Starr4:39 PM

    I love brainstorming with you, babe. :) It's just so much fun. And if you haven't noticed, I think I get equally excited when between the two of us we've figured out some elusive plot point or something.

    I'm happy to help out!

    ReplyDelete