Monday, October 22, 2007

Back to Business

I'm back from a wonderful weekend in Saskatoon where I spoke to a group of writers about "The Business of Writing".

It was my first day-long workshop and I was considerably nervous, though I shouldn't have been as everyone was completely lovely. The workshop was held at the gorgeous "Willows" Golf Club and may I just say thanks to the coordinators for securing such a great venue as well as all the leg work they put into the day.

We talked lots about the writing and the business but out of everything what I loved the most was simply being with other writers and talking shop. Writing can be a very lonely task and being able to get together and talk and people "get it" and don't look at you like you're crazy is a blessing.

After the speaking part of the day was over, those of us staying at a hotel went back, recharged, and then went for dinner hosted by one of the members. And then after we went back to the hotel I ended up chatting with another couple of writers until I realized that it was nearly 10:30! I was already tired and feeling the beginnings of a cold, so off to bed I went.

The next morning I was croaky and tired, but had a hot shower and 7 of us went for breakfast where we talked...and talked...and talked...

So all in all it was relatively painless and thoroughly enjoyable. Now I'm back home with a brand new to-do list of things to accomplish this week! Oh and tea....lots and lots of tea to try to fix this cold....

4 comments:

  1. Hey Donna, thank you so much for coming out and speaking at our workshop. You were fabulous. I can't express how many things I learned from you.
    I have one question about blogs though. You advised we get/make one and I am trying but it's all in german! I don't know what they want! Help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me again - I found my answer. BTW thanks for your personal help Sat night as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great time and writers got to hear you speak. I'm sure they gained a lot of information from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita - glad you figured it out!

    Diane...seriously the best part IMO was just getting to talk to people who are working towards the same goal.

    ReplyDelete