Tuesday, September 25, 2007

London, Part ONE

Well here I am back from London and full of so much information and emotions I figure this will just be a running theme of the week. That ok with you all?

I got into Heathrow on Wednesday, after only sleeping 2 hours on the plane. Biddy was there to meet me and we took the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then a cab from there to her flat. May I just say that the drive scared the living daylights out of me - I thought Calgary drivers were insane! LOL. We had a late lunch which ended up serving as dinner too - watched a movie while I tried to keep my eyes open so that I could actually just sleep through the night and try to avoid jetlag. Which is exactly what I did...but falling asleep sitting up was a close run thing a few times...

Thursday was lunch with my editor. Trish was having lunch with hers too so we met at Victoria Station and took the train to Richmond together. We talked as if we were old friends....which we are, just hadn't been in the physically present sense before! LOL. Trish is SO much fun. More on that in a bit.

My editor, Maddie, and I went for lunch where we tried really hard to talk business and did manage to fit some official stuff in between talking about other things and enjoying FABULOUS food (note - I had not one bad meal the entire time). THe basics are: A new two book contract, a pitching session that went great, and then some more exciting career plans for after that. Very productive, I feel!

I had a tour of the offices and met some of the other editors...firstly met the editorial director who is also Canadian (her accent made me feel very at home, since I'm sure everyone must have thought that I butcher the English language horribly), then went to the Romance section and met more editors there and they are indeed as gorgeous as I'd heard! I also saw the proof for the cover of THE SOLDIER'S HOMECOMING and the back blurb which actually made me well up! When I have copies of the finalized cover I'll post both. But I'm very happy with it.


Trish and I then proceeded to get lost going back to the station, which I blame on my excitement and us gawking around looking at potential settings etc. and ignoring where we were going.
But this is where we ended up: sitting under a tree on a bench, chatting and soaking up the afternoon. I have a pic of Trish but I'm saving it as I may like to have something to blackmail her with later. We eventually found the station after a kindly old gentleman informed us we were going the wrong direction.

Then Trish and I took the train back. Most of you know how I'm very fangirly about Jamie Bamber and had mentioned to Trish that he was from Hammersmith. What a turkey, and I'm blaming her ENTIRELY, we got off at Hammersmith and took silly pictures of me there as well as chatting up a flower seller who was incredibly intelligent. He pegged Trish's accent to a pretty specific location in Ireland, proceeded to tell us we were Leo's (and we are) and dropped a GREAT innuendo that was HYSTERICALLY funny. He kissed us as we left! LOL


This is me beneath a sign that says London Apollo. Get it? Apollo? (Covers ears against collective groans of blog readers). ANYHOO, Trish couldn't take rush hour trains so we took advantage and called Biddy, who came up and met us for drinkies, and then on the way home to the flat Biddy and I stopped and had dinner.

Tomorrow I shall post several more pics of AMBA and LOVELY lovely people (yes, I'm using the word LOVELY again, sue me guys).

11 comments:

  1. Glad to know that you're home safe - but Canada seems such a long way away. I miss you! It was so wonderful to see you in person

    love

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE HAD soooooooooooooooooooooooooo MUCH FUN didn't we??? And THANKYOU for not mentioning the door handle ;)

    I said it already but really hun SUPER CONGRATS on the books and pitches and the new cover is FAB folks!!!

    I'd share an umbrella with you anytime hun x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you too, Kate! But you know that already. New e-mail coming your way soon.

    I forgot all about the door handle you broke at the offices. But thanks for bringing it up! *snicker*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops...blame jet lag. It was Trish that broke the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are home safe! And Canada is too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh so glad you're back blogging -I missed ya! Congrats on the new contract and exciting future stuff! Can't wait to see the cover and blurb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back!

    And hey I can't blame you for stopping in Hammersmith...after all, every time I see Big Ben (or, more accurately, St Stephen's clock tower) I have to mention that Owen Wilson was once there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH. MY. GOD.

    If Biddy reads this, I can hear her screaming all the way here. JULIE! You are tooo much the imp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're home safely. It was LOVELY to meet you.

    Congrats on the new contract!

    And I look forward to seeing you when you come to my part of the country!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic to meet you Donna-- when are you coming over again?!

    ((Subliminal message... SOON... SOON... SOON...))

    xx

    ReplyDelete