Thursday, August 30, 2007

Seeing things clearly....

So here's another thing I've noticed.

My best writing comes when I bleed on the page. Really get inside the characters and let my feelings go crazy. I cried yesterday while writing which usually is a good sign.

I also was on a roll so I worked last night. That translated into approximately 9 hours of work on the book yesterday and a grand total of...2 chapters tweaked. That's all.

Only I got to nearly midnight and realized...maybe this isn't working. This is a good angle, but have I done it right? Am I keeping the tension up? And I was so INTO the story that I couldn't be objective.

So here's this lovely irony...to write well, I need to immerse myself in the story. And to turn in a great story, I need to look at it dispassionately and decide what works, what doesn't, and make the necessary adjustments.

And switching gears can be hard. It is a reason why writers should not get too attached to their words. Because there can be a better way and you need to be open to that.

Anyway the idea is for me to take today and do my volunteer time at the school, and let the story rest. Hopefully tomorrow morning when I go back to it, I'll have a clearer vision of what needs to be done and proceed through the last 3 chapters without a lot of fuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment