Monday, August 20, 2007

Red Wine, Chocolate, and Movies

Saturday is traditionally my wind-down night. It starts with a bubble bath, then moves on to some wine, usually splitting a bar of dark chocolate with the husband, and a movie of some sort.

I pulled Love Actually out of the dvd shelf this past weekend and cuddled up to enjoy, cuz it's one of my favourites.

Sometimes ideas come from the oddest places. I mean I wasn't thinking about work, I was totally chilled. And then, WHAM.

In Love Actually, there are several storylines that all weave together. My husband's favourite is Colin Firth's character, the writer, and the Portuguese woman who works for him. And it was this storyline that suddenly made things clear for me.

When I'm done revisions, I need to change the ending of The Italian's Surprise Proposal. I wasn't comfortable with it, and after seeing my revisions for Falling for the Marshal and chatting with my CP, I know why. It's something I do a lot and now I've identified it. So I knew I had to change it, but I hadn't a clue how I was going to execute it.

But one scene - ONE! And everything was very clear. I paused, grabbed my notebook, and jotted down an outline for a few new scenes.

It's one of the occupational hazards of being a writer, I suppose. We're supposed to leave work at the office, like everyone else, right?

But how do you turn your brain off?

2 comments:

  1. Does a writer's brain ever switch off? Constant observation combined with mental note-taking, character development, and plotting.

    But it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS fun. I know I certainly pay more attention now. The problem is hiding what you're doing from the masses who don't understand why you have to work when you're supposed to be relaxing! LOL

    ReplyDelete