Monday, August 27, 2007

A conflict gone right....

Today I'm working on the second draft of The Italian's Surprise Proposal (TISP).

It's been sitting a long time, both because of summer vacations and then my revisions on the Marshal book. So I've had time to let it sit, and percolate, and decide how to fix what I knew hadn't worked.

Last week I read a review of another book and there was a quote from the book in the review. While those words don't fit my heroine, the strength of them struck a chord with me. I realized my heroine had to take a risk. I know exactly what that risk has to be...and how it really does fit HER conflict and also HIS conflict...what she's going to ask of him is not easy for either of them.

But let's take it a step further. I also had something happen in my own life last week that made me realize we never truly leave our old baggage behind. I will admit the feeling took me by surprise and I didn't enjoy it, though I did understand it. And as I was laying awake the other night, I realized my heroine has a layer of conflict I had missed. And that it makes so much sense, and works so well with the hero's conflict, I don't quite understand why I didn't GET IT before. It all leads up to her taking the risk, and it also makes the black moment that much more potent.

It's like pieces of a puzzle that were missing and suddenly you find them and it all comes together.

I know without a doubt that these 2 elements will take the conflict to a whole new level, will facilitate greater emotional risk and reward, and simply make the book stronger and better.

I can't wait to get started! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, it is the elephant in the room -- so big you can't quite see it.
    And sometimes, these things just need time.
    But I had faith you would get there.
    Iti s going to be heart achingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really started to believe art imitates life. What we know of ourselves we can give to our characters. It's the basic understanding that we all have fears and we all sooner or later have to deal with them. It's probably why writing is therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete