Saturday, June 23, 2007

Workshop Virgin no more!

It may come as a surprise to many of you but with the exception of a writer's week I did in University (which seems like a lifetime ago), I have never attended a workshop.

Until today.

My local RWA chapter - CaRWA - had their first annual Summer Solstice Workshop today.

I had such a great time. Good food, great fun, and talking with other writers all day long...people who just GET IT when it comes to what you're doing. One thing I love about my chapter is that it doesn't matter WHAT level your writing is at or where you are on in your journey to publication...everyone has this great camaraderie.

We had 2 workshop sessions - the first by Love Inspired author Carolyne Aarsen on Characters. This was really in depth and a different angle on character development which I thought was fabulous. My stories are so character driven...so this is my territory. EVERYTHING comes from my characters and I took half my notes on the development and the other half jotting down ideas and layers for my characters in my current WIP. Hooray!

After a great lunch, Linda Ford, also a Love Inspired author, gave a talk on Mechanics (no, not the guys that fix your car). I found particularly enlightening the section on scene and sequel and hope that my pacing and tightness will reflect it.

We had an author panel after that, which was a hoot as we were asked questions about the business side of publishing. In particular, when we were asked about cover art Carolyne and I cracked up. Looked at each other and lost it again. Let's face it, there's great covers and then there's not and most of the time we don't have a lot to say about it. If you want to see a funny post about cover art, visit Trish Wylie's latest post.

We finished up with a visualisation from our resident guru Jan Mitchell and after the last of the prizes were handed out, did a quick tidy and headed on our way.

It was a great day, a wonderful experience and I can hardly wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment