Monday, June 11, 2007

Why I love doing what I do

I watched a couple of chick flicks on the weekend - Must Love Dogs and Sweet Home Alabama.

I was really reminded of why I'm doing what I am. Writing short, romantic fiction.

You know, there are times I get tired of people who put down Romance as a genre and dismiss it as unsophisticated and utter frivolity. Perhaps we should be reading something more provocative, more high-brow, more educated. And that's great, if that's what you like. But there is room for romance.

In my mind category romance is very similar to Romantic Comedies/chick flicks, especially in the way they are structured. And why not reach that HEA? Why not feel that little bit of hope in the end? The world is depressing enough.

And then last night before Sweet Home Alabama, a professor gave a blurb about the role of romance in the industry and "Stereomythical" characters. He made a fabulous point that the characters in these movies are "types". The ugly duckling, the computer geek, the cocky boss...whatever. Think about it...characters and hooks. Yes'm, just the same as in category romance. And he went on to say that these types of stories have existed for thousands of years, modified by the times but at the core the same story, making them MYTH. Therefore the characters become "Stereomythical". Cool, huh? That even sounds...er...educated.

But the main reason I love it is because it's simple, and clear. And there is nothing wrong with that. God, life is so much of a rat race that you can't throw a stone without hitting someone who longs for a simpler life, less stress, more back to basics. A story of one man, one woman, both searching for something spectacular, and going through trials to get it. And then a satisfactory ending. It reduces things to the common denominator - our need to be loved and validated. Or, as said in SHALL WE DANCE...a witness to our lives. Away from stress and the rat race and so yes, a bit of escapism.

I love what I do, I love how it makes me feel and I hope that my readers feel the same way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,
    Wanted to let you know that I started HBTC and I am loving it!

    And I for one, agree with your point--life is tough enough. I read to escape, so why not make it a happy read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcy - hope you keep loving it, lol. And you know, I really do believe we could ALL do with some simplicity in our lives.

    Do less and live more. :-)

    ReplyDelete