Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Blogging at the PHS

I'm blogging today at the Pink Heart Society in their Tuesday Diet Club column.

Yeah, those of you that really know me can laugh all you want.

I've always had a weight problem and thought I had it licked as I kept off what I'd lost for 3 years. Only to have it all sneak back on and when I weighed myself on Jan 1 I was within 1 lb of my original weight.

Well, it's coming off slowly and so when the lovely ladies at the PHS asked if I'd do a slot, I agreed.

Pop over and hear what I have to say about weight loss!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:23 PM

    CarolC said...

    Hi again Donna - I'm really swotting up on your blog today.

    I have a question about one of the things you said earlier and not sure if this is the right spot but thought I'd post it on the most up to date entry.

    You said:-
    "Also, use active verbs. That puts the reader into the immediate present and what’s going on, instead of being separated by degrees by passive language."

    It would be great if you didn't mind giving an example of what you mean here, it's something I get stuck on a lot and your advice would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, swot away. :-)

    A big thing I see in a lot of beginning writers, and in my own previous work, is passive language. I'll give you an example:

    Passive: She felt the heat of his touch spread over her body.

    Active: The heat of his touch spread over her body.

    Felt is a big flashing warning light as well as heard, saw, tasted...if you're naming your senses, you're not in the moment. It's ok now and then, but it's a common pitfall.

    Hope that helps, feel free to e-mail if you want to chat! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete