Monday, November 06, 2006

Page Turning Quality (PTQ)

I devoured a book over the weekend - scratch 2 from the TBR pile. Last week I finished Start Late, Finish Rich. And this weekend I read The DaVinci Code. All of it.

Now, that's not to say it's a perfect book. Far from it. At times, especially in the beginning, there was simply too much detail. It felt a bit like reading a travel tour book. "On your right you'll see the blah blah from the thirteenth century, constructed completely out of..." that sort of thing. Also, I am not sure of the correct use of the past participle of awake, which is awoken, but OH MY GOD Mr. Brown overused it. Everytime I read it I got frustrated. It really pulled me out. I'd give an example but it's monday morning and I'm not that ambitious to go through the pages. AND, my final complaint is character development. Or lack thereof. We do get bits and pieces of Sophie more than Robert, but not much. We see more of Sophie simply because her family past is part of the plot. There is a feeble attempt at depth with Robert's Mickey Mouse watch. In a more well-rounded development, it might have been significant. But that importance was lost because without anything else, it didn't mean much besides looking silly.

HOWEVER. I couldn't put it down despite these things. And so I have to say, Dan Brown is a master at constructing an external plot. This book has MAJOR PTQ.

The characters were either only a half step ahead of the bad guys, or a step behind, leaving you wondering how the heck they were going to get out of it. I kept reading and reading and reading. The history, the tiny details of deciphering the clues, were brilliant. And it's been a long time since I had the burning need to just read read read and get through to the end - especially in a book of that size. That says it for itself.

If I were to rate this book I'd still have to give it an 8-9 out of 10, with the marks being deducted for lack of character depth and that damned word, AWOKEN. :-)

Now I'm off for tons of tiny jobs that must be done.

3 comments:

  1. That is too funny - I loved the book too -- and would say the detail at times bored me - easy to fix - I'd skim, but then realize in some instances I had to go back -- needed that silly detail stuff to understand I guess. ;) But what I like the most about your observation was the notetation on character depth and external plot. The external plot really was so great, one couldn't put it down - or I couldn't anyhow -- I HAD to see how they were going to get out of their next predicament! HAD TO! Very interesting to note. Great post!
    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt exactly the same as you, Donna -- on both the positive and negative sides!

    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the book the first time I read it, but I have to say I LOATHED the film...

    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete