Friday, October 13, 2006

Layers

In Shrek, he says, "Onions have layers. Ogres are like onions."

It has been fun putting layers into this story. One of the things that I HAVEN'T panicked about with this manuscript is my character arcs. I have solid characters and solid motivations, and the biggest challenge has been executing the story in the right way. But my characters...they've been good to me.

They've been full of a few surprises too. For example, there wasn't supposed to be any sex happening, but half way through all of a sudden the heroine demanded to have sex with the hero. Now, as I'm nearing the end, things are popping up all over the place. Little angles that I hadn't really explored before. It's exciting, actually. My heroine's main conflict has just taken on another layer...and the hero is the one to point it out in a most painful way.

I see a marked difference in this too. In other manuscripts, published and unpublished, I've layered in things but they've always been "added" rather than having "developed" from the general conflict, and this feels so much better. I'd love to give you an example, but that would be spoiling the ending. And since it's my fervent hope that Harlequin will buy this (especially as it's a sequel to my May release) and since my editor has already seen the first three chapters and liked it, I'm going to keep my mouth shut and hope you get to read it down the road.

I actually think I prefer Donkey's analogy, come to think of it. Parfaits have layers. I'll take a parfait over an onion any day of the week.

1 comment:

  1. "Cake! Everybody loves cake!"

    Sorry... we're a big Shrek/Shrek 2 household (well, at least, for the Offspring and I...)

    Don't get me started...!

    ReplyDelete