Monday, October 23, 2006

Business Arrangement Bride by Jessica Hart



As a reward to myself for finishing and sending MCM, I bought Jessica Hart's latest, Business Arrangement Bride. Jessica is one of my favorite Harlequin Romance authors. When I joined the author loop and she welcomed me I got a little fangirly. It just didn't seem right, me being there with HER, you know? Anyway, I stayed up until midnight finishing it last night.

Her hero, Tyler, is alpha to his toes. Jessica does a great job making him tough. And I mean TOUGH. For the most part he doesn't even SMILE. But, she offers little glimpses of what it's like to be him, so we can't hate him for being cold. We get to see little vulnerabilities. And her heroine's baby, Bea, is the one that breaks the ice for him. We see him respond to her in ways he can't to Mary, the heroine.

Mary is often dishevelled, her clothes don't fit right because she's still carrying baby weight, and she lavishes love on her daughter rather than on herself. As a mom, boy do I respond to that. I would have liked to have seen MORE of her feeling more of a woman and less of a mom. I know Tyler had to love her as she was and not some ideal, but when a man makes a woman's heart beat like Tyler does Mary's, she's gonna make some effort. There is a scene where they go to a party, and she's dressed up and gorgeous and the scene is steamy....THAT was perfection.

I also didn't expect to cry in this one. But I did. There is a reason women love a man with a baby, and I'll leave it at that.

Finally, if you're a fan at all of Pride and Prejudice, you're gonna love the ending of this book. I have no idea if it was intentional or not, but I definitely heard echoes of Darcy in Tyler's speech to Mary. Sigh. Makes me want to watch the "new" version all over again!

Thanks Jessica for the fantastic read!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, doncha just love 'em when they grab you like that? I might have to pick this one up and give it a whirl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my TBR pile. I think it just moved to the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete