Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Writing of The Girl Most Likely

Every writer out there hears the words at one time or another - where do you get your ideas?

Stories grow from characters. And usually for me the hero hits me first. He's got to be someone I can fall in love with. But in this case, the book started with the heroine.

I'd finished a project and was coming up with ideas and what hit me first was a healthy choices restaurant. The thing with writing novels is that we can create alternate realities for ourselves, things that we think it would be cool to do but hey, there's only so much you can cram into a lifetime, and besides, who has enough money to do THAT? One of the things I've often thought was how I'd love to run a restaurant that served healthy food that still tasted like home cooked yummies. And so the idea of the Pick and Choose was born - and so was Katie Buick.

Katie's out to prove herself...and escape the label that has followed her since High School. Who better to get under her skin than the guy she rejected back then, who HAS shed his geeky past and is now hot, successful and rich. I liked the "turned tables" thing. And what the book does, I hope, is show how if you look beyond those labels to the person inside, it doesn't matter.

Now...to pick a short excerpt....


Yet now, at this moment, it didn’t seem to matter to her and he was done fighting. “I’ll leave you alone to your precious business. Call me when you need a cheque.”

He tried to shoulder past her but she shot out her hand, staying his departure with a grip on his arm. “What do you want from me, Ric? I told you from the beginning…”

He spun to face her. He clenched his jaw, feeling his frustration with her bubble up until he opened his mouth and it came pouring out.

“What do I want? I want you to see me. Me!” he shouted. He saw her eyes grow wide at his outburst but didn’t care. “That’s all I ever wanted, Katie! I’m not the high school nerd who changed his appearance and became a success. I’m not a chequebook, there to fund your precious project! I’m not that anymore than you’re the party girl who never took anything seriously. I have feelings, hopes, dreams. I thought you understood that I saw that in you too. And me, being the fool that I am, expected the same from you. I thought you understood a bit of who I am. But I was way off base there!” He spread his hands wide, then dropped them. “There is more to me than what I am. I thought you knew that.”


One hour and thirty minutes until draw time! Don't forget!

1 comment:

  1. Donna,

    Man, your characters shoot sparks in both excerpts. Well done!!

    Sierra

    ReplyDelete