Thursday, September 28, 2006

Point of View (POV)

I started a new chapter yesterday. But something wasn't ringing true with me. It just didn't feel right, and something was missing. I couldn't put my finger on it. I thought maybe I just wasn't in the "zone". But last night after I went to bed, it hit me what was wrong.

I was in the wrong POV.

I left it in the heroine's POV. Since we need to relate mostly to the heroine, her POV is the dominant one. But sometimes we need the hero's perspective. And this is one of those times.

We know how she felt the "morning after". We know how she's dreading what's coming next. So leaving it in her POV is just drawing that out and the pacing fell off. It was lacklustre. But putting it in my hero's POV...now that's different. We don't know how he feels about having slept with the heroine. And since I can't show the actual act (due to line requirements), we only have my heroine's word for it. We need HIS perspective.

Plus, with what's coming, it sets things up better.

So today is going back, rewriting that section in HIS pov, and seeing how it works. POV is not something random that you say, "Gee, I think I should use his now," or "I'll just leave it in hers," indiscriminately. Picking the most effective POV can make a real difference in the execution of your story!

1 comment: