Monday, September 25, 2006

Buckling Down

After a less than stellar production week last week, I need to buckle down.

It is quite possible that I needed the break to get some things straight in my mind with regards to the story. I got chapter six back from my critique partner and am left with not so much ERRORS but with having to shift and tweak. I did something that I don't like in other writers- I did a backstory dump. The information had to be there but I didn't do it the right way. So bits of it will be cut, moved, restructured and put into chapters 4 and 5. It will fill them out like they needed. Not a fun job, mind you...but necessary and one that will make the pace and structure of the story much more unified. This is why I LOVE her. I can say without hesitation that having Michelle as a critique partner is probably the most important writing relationship I have with the possible exception of my editor (who has the power, LOL). I know for a fact that if not for her taking me on over 2 years ago, I would not have progressed to the point where I am now.

She is also very disciplined, and that too is very good for me, because I have to focus big time to get this ms finished.

On the agenda today - finish up chapters 4-6, and start chapter seven. Seven and eight must be finished this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment