Thursday, August 17, 2006

Tagged!

Trish tagged me a few days ago with this, so here goes:


1. One book that changed my life:

Vows by LaVyrle Spencer. It was the first book of hers that I read, and the book that got me hooked on the rest of hers and firmly into the romance genre as a whole.
I think I was 16, because I remember my Dad read it I think and so obviously I read it before he died.

2. One book that I have read more than once:

Oh God. Can't list just ONE. I mean really, until I started writing, I read SO much that I couldn't afford to buy a new book every time. So I just re-read my old favourites. Lots and lots of Nora and LaVyrle's books I've read at least a dozen times each.

3. One book I would want on a deserted island:

The Divine Comedy. For one it's huge, it's deep, and it's one of those you could read over and over and find something new each time. Besides, if I'm stuck on a deserted island I plan on being there with Jamie Bamber, and we should at least be reading the same thing so we can have, er, critical, intelligent discussions.

4. One book that made me laugh:

I snicker at Jane Austen, but if I had to answer this off the top of my head I'd have to say every time I critique one of Trish's books she makes me laugh my ass off.

5. One book that made me cry:

Then Came Heaven by LaVyrle Spencer. I mean I used half a box of Kleenex in the first hour. It's set in a small town in the 50's. Have a young mother get killed, two small children left with their dad and a sympathetic, conflicted nun....WOW.

6. One book I wish I'd written:

Hmmm, I don't know if I can answer this. There are books I love but I'm not sure I would have wanted to have written them (although getting the $$$ for them would have been fine, I suppose!). I think I say that because I AM writing and I have my own style and voice and if I wish I'd written something else then that would mean I would be something other than what I am. If that makes ANY sense at all. Let's just hope who I am is strong enough to keep selling manuscripts.

7. One book I wish had never been written:

I don't know about this either like most people answering this question, I don't really believe in censorship. However I take exception to books written with malicious intent. Any book that promotes the degradation or elimination of a specific group of people is crossing a line IMO.

8. One book I am currently reading:

Friendly Fire. It's the story of four Canadians killed in a friendly fire incident by a bomb dropped by a US F-16. It's really, really good. It's also very neutral. Being a Canadian I went in thinking how the US pilots were only to blame, but it's becoming very clear that there were "cock-ups" at several levels, all of which contributed to the event. I got it to do research for a future hero, and it's proving to be exactly what I needed - a realistic, detailed portrayal of what it's like serving in Afghanistan.

9. One book I have been meaning to read:

Middlemarch by George Eliot. I've started and stopped it so many times, and always get distracted by something else. I love George Eliot. One of my favorite books ever is Daniel Deronda. She was revolutionary in writing about anti-semitism at that time.

Phew!

1 comment:

  1. Daniel Deronda is the first Eliot book I read, and got me reading almost all the rest. Middlemarch took me over a year to read (kept stopping at all the political parts), but it was well worth it. Beside, it became kind of funny running into people on the street months apart, and still carrying around the same book. Just slog through the parts you're not into, 'cause on the whole, it's fantastic. Daniel Deronda also has my favourite opening line ever.

    ReplyDelete