Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Long Overdue - my vacation!

So this is way overdue, but we did have a great trip this summer, going to New Brunswick to visit family and friends. I was exhausted so focused on R&R. We went swimming almost every day - it seemed everyone was either on the water or had a pool. While at my mom's I spent some quality time with my sisters and spent a day at Kings Landing with my best friend who works there. THe kids loved having so much space to run around and loads of pets to play with! I liked being back on the farm. It isn't "our" farm any more, but I did lots of walking around it and the guy that owns it now even picked me up on the tractor. LOL I'd run my mother's clothesline off the pulley at the pole end. I'm deathly afraid of heights, but he put a pallet on the forks, hoisted me all the way up and I fixed it. I watched them hay the field and went to sleep at night to the sound of the "hay dryer" - a very welcome and familiar sound from my childhood.

After I left my Mom's, we picked up a very special friend (waves at Michele) and took her to lunch. Then it was on to the in-laws.

My inlaws have about 5 acres and an adorable little bungalow on it. It is the epitome of relaxation. We had a family get together on the weekend, with 23 of us there I think. Everyone brought their campers - it was like a campground! The kids enjoyed their cousins a lot and we played lots of canasta, did karaoke, and enjoyed some liquid refreshment. The week after we went to the Dunes in Buctouche as well as the Irving Gardens, and then out for Chinese. We also did a day trip to Prince Edward Island. The weather was beautiful, and we took the girls to Anne of Green Gables house as we'd recently read the first book of the series. Dh's parents were with us and we had a picnic lunch, then took the Wood Island Ferry to Nova Scotia, had dinner with dh's sister, and got home about 10:30 at night.

By the time we got back, we were exhausted all over again but really relaxed. And homesick. For the first time in the 10 years we've been gone, we really missed "home".

Here are a few pics that we took.... the first is of Kings Landing in New Brunswick, the second is the lighthouse at Wood Island, PEI, and the last is of the Irving Chapel in Buctouche, New Brunswick.







4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great trip!

    Thanks for sharing the pics. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful summer you've had. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos. I LOVE Anne of Green Gables - can't believe you can visit the house!!
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'm emotional right now, but I had tears in my eyes, reading about your wonderful family vacation. I sounds like my kind of trip back home. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy them and get some R&R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, visiting the house isn't as magical as it used to be, since they now have a tourism building out front. You used to be able to just drive up, park, and walk up to the house. Once you get past that it's good. But the whole Cavendish end of the island is just stunning.

    Cindy, you are such a sap but I love that. :-) There are a few people back home that have had a rough year so it was lovely so see them and give hugs. And heck, I didn't even mention my sale in there...which added to an already wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete