Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Quandary

I was going to blog on "Oh how far we've come" today, but something else came up.

First of all I wrote 1700 words last night. At least half of them are crap, but they're there. I think I just need to keep going and find my groove again. That's the problem with stopping in the middle of an ms to do pesky things like edits, etc. You lose your momentum. But progress is progress. And I'm panicking because I don't think I have a hope in hell of making the 60k word count required for ModX.

That's not my quandary though.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't have a job next year, I was the last one hired and as such, the last one to be brought back. My plan was to stay on as a sub, so if one of the other ladies got sick they could call and I could do a few days here and there. However the AP called yesterday after I got home and offered me my job for another year.

I like my job and I love the kids. I like the regular paycheque, small as it is. BUT, in my heart I want to stay home and write. I don't want to be doing all the running like I have this year. I don't want to end up doing a bunch of work at night because my day has been too busy (and I'm a much better morning writer when I'm fresh). I'm tired of my house looking just 'eh'.

I want to turn it down, but I'm having a hard time justifying it to myself. My contract doesn't pay much, but it IS regular and it does give us something extra. It's also the first financial contribution I've made in 8 years. Not taking the job seems to be assuming that I'm going to sell more books, but there's no guarantee of that. (Especially considering the drivel that came out of me last night)

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:55 p.m.

    Hi Donna.

    A difficult dilemma, but there's nothing like being able to write in the morning when you're fresh to it.

    If you've sold 2 books already then you can do it again, and again... :)

    So why not give yourself a year at home and if you're not making enough through your writing at the end of that time then take a job again. If you turn this job down will they still use you as a sub if anyone's ill? If the answer's 'yes' then you'll already have a foot in the door if another job comes up there this time next year. You might have sold to Harlequin by then.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete