Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Personal Hell that is Web Design

Ok, so I've never had a course. My computer savvy is at about a 6 or 7 on the 1 to 10 scale. I sold a book and my loving husband bought me FrontPage so I could design my website.

I shall refrain from using ANY of the words that coloured the air in the living room last night as I worked on the laptop.

Part of the problem is that the little booklet thingy had NOTHING about it that resembled a user manual. It nattered on about code and xml and html and my eyeballs were rolling back in my head....

*ahem*.

So, I gripped my sword and went into the fray.

I don't have a gray background with classy black font and splashes of passionate red. Which is ok...sometimes what you envision and what happens are two VERY different things and I'm used to that, hey, I'm a writer for God's sake! But trying to get my little buttons to show on the side - or even horizontally - took me nearly a half hour. THEN, figuring out how to change the text WITHIN those buttons took me another half hour. And lots and lots of cursing.

It's one of those things that I hope as I go along I get better and less frustrated...although the "free" software we downloaded a few months ago was infinitely easier. God only knows what'll happen if I try interactive buttons....or cute links, etc....

Sometimes I wish I weren't so cheap and I could hire hot men to do this sort of thing for me. :-)

5 comments:

  1. Oooo yeah. Hot men are always a much better option than tearing your hair out. ;-)

    Hope you get it figured out soon...without bloodshed. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, I am clueless when it comes to computers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I just blogged about this yesterday.

    This book might help. I borrowed it from the library. Create Microsoft Frontpage 2002 Web Pages in a Weekend by C. Michael Woodward. It is really good and easy to use. I've been working on and off on my own site for a bit now and that has helped immensely! But I found that I wanted to work on it rather than write so now I only let myself play around after I've finished my goals for the day or week. Needless to say I don't expect to get my website up and running any time soon but at least I know what I'm doing now so I'm more efficient when I do work on it.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh thanks Stacy! I was mucho impressed when I actually got the button to work, moving me from my home page to my biography. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, you're a brave woman. Before I left my job to stay home, I worked in the graphic design/website dept. Talk about a whole different language! And very frustrating. If you're one letter, code, whatever off, the entire thing is off. Ugh.

    You'll have to let us know when your site is done!

    ReplyDelete