Monday, March 20, 2006

And now you know.....the rest of the story!

I couldn't resist the title today...there was always this radio show at home that had this story thing....and the reader always ended the program with that line!

Details! OK (deep breath)....

As most of you know who visit here, I got a great rejection a few weeks ago. The issues were problems with too much external plot and a few hero things. However the general comments were that they liked the writing. So I got to thinking that those problems might not be an issue to another publisher. Honestly I've been so focussed on the Romance line that sometimes I forget that there's a whole other world out there!

I knew a bunch of people had sold to Samhain recently so I visited their site, did some checking and took a chance and sent them the full right off the bat. I figured it would be a couple of months to hear so as you know, started a new story. Then Saturday night, after too much wine and the BEST EPISODE EVER of Battlestar Galactica (Which deserves a whole other post!) I had a little pity party with my dh. I was just frustrated and wanting to sell so badly and feeling like I was getting SO CLOSE and yet was still so far away...he said all the right things. I knew he was right - it was a matter of time. But after over 4 years sometimes you're entitled to a little frustration after the better part of a bottle of Aussie Shiraz.

Lo and behold I got up Sunday morning and while dh was making breakfast, checked my messages. And right in my inbox was a contract offer for The Girl Most Likely. After TWO weeks, not two months!

I stared at it, went ho-hum and fired off some e-mails to some of their writers for some input. Had breakfast. Made beds.

Started to feel a glimmer of excitement. I think dh was a bit puzzled.

Got to church, my friend Carla saw my big grin, and I said the words -

I sold a book.

Once I said it it was real and I grinned and bounced all day!

This is a great start to a long career I hope...a launching point for me. Here's hoping it all just grows from here!

Before I sign off there's a few people that need acknowledgement because they've worked damned hard to get me published. Michelle Styles told me once that I had to sell because ALL her CP's have eventually sold. It's one I told you so I don't mind getting. THANK YOU Michelle for all your help over the last year and a half! (Note: Sue, you're next.)

And it's no coincidence that this is the first book that Trish Wylie critted for me. She is a royal pain in the ass and a wonderful CP. I think she was damned near as excited as I was yesterday. I couldn't have put this book together without either of you so champagne for my CP's!

GOD. Now I have to go pass out somewhere. I woke up this morning and my first thought was, "I'm a published author!"

Details as to release date, etc. will follow, naturally!

15 comments:

  1. Donna, that is so fabulous. I've been thinking of e-pubbing myself lately and have been looking into some places. Why did you pick Sahmain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rocks!! I know -- sometimes it doesn't quite seem real, until you can actually say to someone (usually a non-writer), "I sold a book" -- and that's when it sinks in.

    I'm so totally thrilled for you, Donna. WTG!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:33 p.m.

    Congratulations, Donna. Great call story!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. sigh... I love hearing The Call stories!!! They're always so unique and SO special and Donna yours is a very, very good call story. I love that you just had a pity party the night before opening your email... your dh sounds incredibly supportive and must be overjoyed for you!

    Do tell us more when you get the chance! It's all in the details...

    And, oghmagoodness, I recognized the "rest of the story" quote right away! Reminded me of cruises along the lakeshore with the radio on and my father saying "and now you know..." along with the radio. Was it CBC? I'm trying to remember.

    Anyways, CONGRATS again!!!! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori - it was on Country KHJ in Fredericton. :-)

    My dh IS wonderful. He has congratulated me, been annoyed at times, but has always said if it makes me happy to keep going...and then this morning guess what he did? He ordered FrontPage for me so I can get started on a website.

    Love him. Gonna keep him too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:15 p.m.

    Donna, congratulations! I'm so thrilled for you.

    Julie/Fred

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:15 p.m.

    WTG, Donna! What a great story. I'm so thrilled for you, hon. You've worked hard and success looks great on you!

    All the best,
    Gail Fuller :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so pleased for you, Donna! We all knew it was coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna, I love it! I love that it took a while to sink in!!! I'm so thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, LOVE the call story. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:10 a.m.

    Hi Donna ! I heard of your success via Trish, I am a fellow Irish woman, aspiring author in Dublin, Well Done! You must be thrilled...and it gives me hope to keep plugging away!
    Hope you're having lots of champagne and riding on cloud nine!
    Daisy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna - I've already said congrats on eHarl and Michelle's blog, but... YAY FOR YOU! Enjoy the moment. Best thing? It only gets better from here: seeing the cover and/or blurb, holding your first copy, seeing it actually on the shelves or listed on your publisher's website or on Amazon... You have some really good times coming up. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to be late coming here to congratulate you Donna - but my congratulations are no less heartfelt for that. I'm so happy for you - my this be the first of many acceptances for you.

    Enjoy that very special feeling - it's wonderful isnt it?
    Congratulations again

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donna, congratulations once again!! I knew it would happen for you, and I know this is only the beginning. Can't wait to see your website when you get it up and running. And I'm dying to hear more news on the pub date and ALL that good stuff.

    I'm bouncing right along with you!

    ReplyDelete