Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Mentors and Friends

I read a great post today by Kate Walker - sent there by Julie who just happens to have her very first M&B book out this month!

Where would we be without mentors? Without someone in our corner, cheering us on, helping us over the hurdles? Someone to show us where we've gone wrong and help us fix it? I know that I for one would be very much behind where I am now in my journey to publication.

It still sounds so funny to me to say that I work "with" two M&B authors. After all, both of them are multi-published. They've passed the "gonnabeez" part of it and are now DOING. They've proven themselves. I feel incredibly blessed that both have faith that I can be where they are right now. That my writing is WORTH all the time and effort they put into it. WHen I say that I work "With" them, I feel like lightning should strike me at any moment.

My writing has grown by leaps and bounds over the past year and a half. That time period is very definite as that is when I first started working WITH (lol) Michelle Styles. I started getting more full requests. I started thinking...and learning....oodles more. Last summer I was approached by Trish Wylie - a fact that still kind of blows my mind, to be honest - saying she'd read my entry in a first chapter contest and would I be interested in a critique?

Trish writes for M&B Romance and now Modern Extra, so of COURSE I said ABSOLUTELY! Even better, we entered into a relationship - I also critique for her. And again it blows me away that I might have anything wise and insightful to offer. Her books are fantastic.

Both Michelle and Trish have demonstrated not only with words but by their commitment to me that I can do this. I will do it. Some days it's all that keeps me from throwing in the towel. And not only that, but my mentors have become my friends. It is very, very special. And after reading Kate's post today I thought they deserved that little bit of thanks from me.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Donna, I have no doubt you'll make it. Keep the faith. The fact that you have two multi-published authors who also believe in you says a lot. It's just a matter of when. I bet you'll get The Call soon.
    All the best,
    Gail from Canada
    P.S. I hope this works. This is my first post to a blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:26 AM

    I agree Donna, you will get that call soon. And you know I'm not just saying that because I am your friend. I love your writing!
    Keep the faith,
    Michele also from Canada and also my first post to a blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna--That is just wonderful that you have such supportive people helping you. I would second that--Michelle and Trish are great!

    Keep the faith, keep going, and you will get there. I believe it!

    ReplyDelete