Wednesday, February 22, 2006

And the beat goes on...

Things are ticking along. I have one chapter left to do a big edit on, and then I'm putting this ms down for a nap. In a few weeks I'll pull it out again and do another final edit. So I'm starting a new story! Today I am filling out character sheets.

One of the problems I encountered with the nearly-finished WIP is that I didn't know my characters well enough. It took a morning with my cp asking me very tough questions to break through.

Funny enough my cp blogged about this. Not this specific incident, but the process. She said this: "despite time differences and distance, when imaginative minds chat online the brainstorming levels grow to insane proportions!"

And this: "You gotta know your characters... I don't just mean what they look like, what they do for a living, who their friends are and where they live. I'm not even talking about what has happened in their lives to bring them to a certain point in time. What I'm talking about is really knowing them. Being inside their head. Its no use having them battered and mistrusting from past hurt if you then have them trust the next person they meet. Cos people just don't do that. They are shaped by events and circumstance. And I think it's all too easy to forget that when you're writing unless you really *are* your characters."

Brilliant, my CP. To read the whole post, go here.

1 comment: