Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Would you have regrets?

I was in the middle of my run yesterday which is always a great time for thinking. And I got a little profound on myself.

If any of you died tomorrow, would you have regrets?

Then I got to thinking, there are two kinds of regrets. Regrets that you didn't do some of the things you really wanted to do, and regrets that you didn't live the life you wanted to live.

I don't have many regrets on the last. Sure, there are things I want to do. I want to travel, for one. I want to see my kids graduate, get married, have babies. That's all stuff I can't control and that are based on time. But am I living the life I want to live? You betcha.

I'm not published, but I'm happy working towards that goal. I can't make a publisher buy my work, but I can strive each day to write something that they may buy. I am doing the "job" that I want to do, that makes me happy. My calling, if you will. I am also a stay at home mom which is the best and worst job in the world! But I wouldn't have it any other way. I have absolutely NO regrets about staying home with my girls. It was the right decision and I'm happy that I get to be involved in their school and do all the things that working moms wish they could. My life is where I want it to be (without the publishing contract, but again, not something I can control).

If I died tomorrow I'd miss things that I was looking forward to, and I'd hate leaving my kids without a mother, but I wouldn't wish I'd done something different with my life. There's a whole load of comfort in that!

5 comments:

  1. Funny you should ask this. My epic, which I am hoping to send off to the contest, is sort of built around this question.

    One couples life is forever changed when they discover the love story of another couple who loved real, and true, and deeper than anyone else they know.

    Very good question.

    And i have to say yes, I would have regrest if I died, BIG ones,...but I'm working on remedy-ing that!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of biggies. Nothing I can go back and change now...But you know what? I don't know that I would change or rectify them if I could. I likely wouldn't be the same person if I hadn't taken those paths. It's taken me a long time to realize that I have a great life and that I actually do like myself. If I hadn't done the things or hadn't NOT done the things that I regret things may have turned out worse. Doesn't stop me from wishing I hadn't said or done this or that, or wondering "what if"... Complexities of life, I suppose.

    Great thought provoking question, Donna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I've made some pretty huge mistakes and I don't regret those really because they have made me into the person I am. There is no sense living in the past, I don't think.

    BUT, I hear everyday people saying they wish they had a different career, or just complaining about their lives in general, and I want to just say, "Then do something about it! Only YOU can change your life. No one's going to step in and wave a magic wand and do it for you!" I'm doing what I love, and have a pretty darn good life. If I were to go tomorrow I wouldn't say "I always wanted to be a...." because I'm doing that.

    Pay sucks, but I'm doing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to just say, "Then do something about it! Only YOU can change your life. No one's going to step in and wave a magic wand and do it for you!"

    Amen, Donna. AMEN!! I've thought that more often than I can count. The problem is, though, that some people are happy being miserable. They've been that way for so long they don't know how to change it. Or else they're inherently lazy and just don't want to do anything about it.

    Riding a TTC bus in Toronto one time, the driver was so snarky and miserable that I was sorely tempted to walk up to him and say, "If you hate your job that much, just quit."

    But I'm not quite that obnoxious. *g*

    (Great thought-provoking topic, D.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh. I was having a similar thought last week, and I'm with you. No regrets.

    Pretty fortunate, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete