Tuesday, October 04, 2005

THANK YOU HUGH KENNEDY

I was visiting the web page of an old classmate yesterday and he has a section where every month he thanks someone who has helped him along in his career. I think this is a great idea. His shout out this month is to our high school band teacher, Hugh Kennedy. Which really got me traveling the nostalgia train! So many good memories.

Mr. K, if you're out there, this is for you.

Thank you for the time you spent on us, in and out of the classroom. THe music department became home for many of us and we enjoyed it because of you....your goofy sense of humour, your enthusiasm, your understanding. You always made me feel special and important. In particular I remember a day when I came down the hall and you started singing a silly rendition of "Me and Mrs. Jones". And I also remember when I moved into an apartment in grade 12 and we had a long chat in your office. Your job was always more than standing in front of us conducting, and I love you for that.

You taught me to really love music and let it be a part of me. You opened my mind and always told us that we could do it. You made us want to work hard for you and for ourselves. I didn't end up making it my vocation, but music is still a huge part of my life.

I know there are more out there that remember and admire you...just think what an influence you have had on hundreds of lives...and we're better people for it.

Thanks, Mr. K. Miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment