Thursday, September 08, 2005

This and That

It has been a busy week. Everyone was home on Monday for the Labour Day long weekend, Tuesday I spent volunteering in my eldest's class, Wednesday I volunteered in my youngest's class, and today I am simply getting caught up.

The first day of volunteering consisted of huge amounts of prep work, also the school received 25 new students since other local schools were full. So much for our "reduced" class sizes. However there may be a chance of some part time work opening up over the next few years...just my cup of tea, really. A bit of fun money, no worries about school schedules vs. work schedules, and still have my writing time. Fingers crossed it works out! So that was a profitable morning spent.

Yesterday I was in the kindergarten class. The teacher was ill so we had a sub. There are 27 kids in that class, some with little or no english. It was a challenging morning but with some bright moments.

My daughter has made a friend of a rather shy, timid girl. They get along famously. But yesterday my girl was playing with someone else, so I got her friend paired up with a new girl who was at loose ends. My daughter apparently got upset when I was down the hall. She thought her friend wasn't her friend anymore because she was playing with the new girl. When I got back things were fine, until the other girl started crying! I finally got her to tell me what was wrong: She thought my daughter thought that they weren't friends anymore and her little heart was broken. So I reassured her that everyone was still friends, emphasized that it's a good thing to have more than one friend, and she gave my daughter a hug, saying she was still her friend. My daughter's answer: "That's OK. I was just feeling a little left out." It was sweet. I really didn't expect this sort of conversation to take place so soon, though! Gosh, 5 yrs old and friend angst already!

Then the same girl called my daughter that afternoon. It is the first time she's had a friend telephone. She takes the cordless, and very politely says, "Hello?" Her response to her friend: "Oh! I was wondering when you'd call!" I tried very hard not to laugh as she took the phone to her room for some privacy.

The other cute thing... we're walking home from Kindergarten and for the life of me I can't remember what we were discussing...but my little darling said, "And Mama, it just filled me with joy."

I stopped and had to kiss her right there in the middle of the sidewalk. It's those little moments that make parenthood so wonderful.

Tomorrow is grocery day. Scouring the fridge today, I think I have the makings of tandoori chicken. The day before groceries is always sort of slim pickings.




1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:30 PM

    I enjoy reading the stories on your site. Keep up the super articles!

    life insurance

    ReplyDelete