Tuesday, August 02, 2005

You CAN fix a blank page!

I think I jinxed myself with my last post, LOL. Things sort of ground to a halt over the weekend.

I wrote 8 pages of a "black moment" kind of scene....and revised it three times. And it STILL wasn't working the way I wanted. Didn't matter how much I tried, I knew I was being way too easy on my characters. I had to make it more emotional, more angry, more desperate.

While trying to fall asleep Saturday, I said to my dh, "I think I need to delete it."

So I did - saved it to another file, of course, but re-wrote those 8 pages and it's going better. For a very long time I've been terrified of the delete key....but really it is your friend! I am not afraid to use it now. I would rather delete something and make it fresher, more vibrant, than revise until I say, "That's as good as it gets, it'll have to do."

Nora Roberts is famous for the quote "You can't fix a blank page" (actually, she's famous for a lot of things and this is pretty minor in comparison!). I challenge that in my own warped sort of way. Because revising that scene didn't inject the life or conflict I needed. What it really needed was a nice, clean, white space in which to start over.

But, um, guess what's next on my agenda? You got it. Revising that scene. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes deleting is your only choice, Donna. I've done it a bunch of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deleting is healthy. :) I do it all the time. I have to write it all the wrong ways before I can find the right ways.

    ReplyDelete